Marcin Lewandowski with 3:35.71 beat Polish record in 1500 m race during Copernicus Cup (World Indoor Tour Gold) in Toruń Arena. On the same distance, Michał Rozyms ran faster than current record of the country. During the meeting, in total 6 world records were beaten and 9 event records!
Javianne Olivier, won 60 m race with visible advantage and scored 7.08 - it is the best time during this season in the world. The second place was taken by Ajla Del Ponte who on the last metres overtook Ewa Swoboda. She crossed the finish line with the result of 7.15. Polish woman was slightly slower - 7.16. - I accelerate because my coach told me off. I felt great, but I was scared by those two false starts. Three times the charm. I am happy with the result. I just hope that on saturday during Polish championships, I will be a bit faster - Swoboda admitted.
The final of the 60 m woman race was fine and fair. Christina Clemons is in an exquisite form. The American scored the best result on the international boards - 7.81. Polish women presented themselves from the best angle. Karolina Kołeczek was the second by beating her personal record and gaining the score under 8 seconds - 7.98 for the first time in her carrer.
- I wasn't totally sure what score and place I got. I was waiting for this result, personal best for a very long time. I hope that during European Championships I will have results as great as here. And it wasn't the perfect run! - Karolina Kołeczek emphasised.
The question of the third place was settled by the matter of thousads of secods. Luminosa Bogliolio and Pia Skrzyszowska scored the same time - 8.00, but the Polish woman was slightly faster. Luca Kozak took fifth place with the result of 8.01.
The apetite for world record was shown by Grant Holloway. The American won 60 m hurdle race, but after 3 false starts he got 7.38. Again, Damian Czykier put his best foot forward. The Polish man was the fourth with the time of 7.63 during Copernicus Cup.
Femke Bol run phenomenally. She beat her rivals with the score of 50.66. It's not only the record of Netherlands but also the best score in Europe during this season. Justyna Święty-Ersetic was the second. The Polish woman run 51.80 and gained the minimum for European Indoor Championship. - I think that it's good, it's my best start of the season. During the run, I crashed slightly into Femke but it's because of the specification of running indoors. I hope that I will be able to start the battle with Bol. She is really great - Justyna Święty-Ersetic apprieciated her rival.
Małgorzata Hołub-Kowalik ran 52.74 and gained the entry for European Indoor Championship as well.
- I love running here but I miss the crowd. I believe that my form will come at the right time - Hołub-Kowalik said.
Habitam Alemu from Etiopia won the 800 m race with the score of 1:58.19. Joanna Jóźwik is getting faster.
- This season is quite successful from the beginning. I wanted to hit sub-2 minutes. I'm back at my level of running. I think that my coach and I have found the right path. I hope it leads us to the success during European Indoor Championship - Joanna said.
Angelika Cichocka's stance is filling everybody with optimism in terms of European Championship who took fifth place.
- With every start in this season I am faster and I feel that I have something more to show - Cichocka emphasised.
Elliot Giles impressed everybody in 800 m race. The British ran 4 laps of Toruń Arena in 1:43.63 - it is the second best score in the history of athletics! Jamie Webb was the second (1:44.54), Andreas Kramer was the third (1:45.09). Adam Kszczot is getting faster. European Champion was the fourth on wednesday.
- It was a cool race. It happens on rare occasion indoors. I am happy that I scored the best result in this season. There is some room for improvement. European Championship in Toruń are going to be very interesting - Kszczot said.
Marcin Lewandowski and Michał Rozmys run great in 1500 m race. Despite the fact that Salemon Barega won the race, but Polish men impressed with their form. Lewandowski was the second with the result of 3:35.71 and beat his own indoor Polish record.
- I felt some infirmity due to lack of the audience. I couldn't hear the noise, but that hadn't changed my plans. I felt that it would be great. I was also pushed by the fact that all money I earned in this meeting would be given to charity - Lewandowski said.
Rozmys, who was the fourth on the finish line, beat his personal best with the result of 3:36.10. - I wasn't surprised by the result because I had been preparing for it during the camp. My form was getting better and I'm glad that I beat my personal best in the historical place where Lewandowski broke Polish record. Everything in this season is submitted to Olympic Games in Tokyo and I would love to go there - Michał Rozmys ensured.
In 3000 m race, Lemlei Hailu was the leader of international scoreboards with the time of 8:31.24. Genzebe Dibaba who was thirsty for the world record wasn't able to finish the race. Beata Topka was the sixth and she was the best Polish woman on the finish line - 9:13.89.
Paraskiewi Papachristu, European Champion from Berlin jumped 14.60 in Toruń. Polish women took lower places. Among them, there was Adrianna Szóstak who had 13.55. The same result was scored by Agnieszka Bednarek and she was classified on sixth place.
The best high jumper during Copernicus Cup was Maksim Niedasiekau. The Belarussian jumped 2.34 in the first run. Andrij Procenko and Gianmarco Tamberi jumped at the same height. Polish men finished the competition on the sixth place. Mateusz Kołodziejski and Sylwester Bednarek jumped 2.10 and 2.15 in the first run and had 3 knock-downs on 2.20.
In pole vault competition Piotr Lisek took the second place. He had to regar Sam Kendricks as superior. They and Ernest Obiena jumped 5.80. Lisek jumped that high in the third run and Kendricks in the first run. They all tried to attack 5.87 but they failed.
In the shot put competition Michał Haratyk put his shot the farthest. He started his tries with the result of 20.86 and finished with 21.28. Later he threw 21.47 and won the competition.
- Everything is well but I couldn't show what I got. Maybe it was too soon? Polish Championships are round the corner and what I need is some stability of my form - the winner said.
Bukowiecki was the fourth with the result of 20.54 and was close to the required minimum of 20.85 for European Championships.
As a PARTNER of COPERNICUS CUP we continuosly support it's organization and supply the equipment required for all competitions.
PHOTO: Paweł Skraba
Source: Facebook Album Copernicus Cup 2021